Thursday, July 03, 2008

Daddy? Where Are You?

It's really cool how children teach grown ups about God. I'm beginning to understand why Jesus adored children and said things such as, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these" (Luke 18:16). In fact, Jesus often reprimanded the arrogance of the adults and stated that our faith should be like that of a child (Matthew 18:4-5).


Seth is always teaching me about my relationship with my Heavenly Father. Most mornings I arise well before Seth. Typically, I piddle around on the computer, read and spend some quite time with God. I find the mornings so refreshing. Even if it is for a few minutes, I try to be still and quiet so that I can hear the voice of my Heavenly Father speaking. I hear the birds chirping and the cars whizzing by. And, just as I reach the point of quiet surrender, I hear a familiar voice call out, "Daddy, where are you?" I respond loudly, "I'm upstairs." Seth says, "Ok. Just wanted to know." Twenty minutes or so goes by. I walk downstairs thinking I would see him playing video games or playing with his cars. Nope, he is sleeping peacefully in bed.


Have you ever wondered where your Heavenly Father is? Maybe there are times in your life that you feel He has left you or abandoned you and you call out, "Where are you?" Whether you are awake, busy in the day or sleeping, do you have a sense of peace knowing your Heavenly Father is near you. Know that your Heavenly Father is ALWAYS with you. "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you" (Deuteronomy 31:6; Hebrews 13:5). Being assured of my presence, he was able to sleep peacefully.

Come to me, all of you who are weary and loaded down with burdens, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Warren,
I love this! I too, have learned so much about God and His character from our children. Glad to see you are writing this stuff down.
Rachael Sumner